Wednesday, May 23, 2018

WWC171 - Heidi's "All About Christmas" Challenge


This week the wonderfully talented Heidi Weaver is our hostess for the "All About Christmas" challenge at Watercooler Wednesday.  

I personally love these seasonal challenges as they really help me get an early start on my Christmas cards.  How about you?  Would you like to join us in making a Christmas themed project or card?  If so check out all the information on our home page.  This challenge is open until 5:00pm Mountain time on Monday May 28th, 2018.

Here's My Card:
I had so much fun making this Christmas card today and I'm delighted to share it with you.  

As you're probably aware by now, Stampin' Up! has revamped it's colour families and the new colours will be available in the release of the new Annual Catalogue on June 1st, 2018.  I can't wait that long however, so I though I'd give you a sneak peak at one of my favourites from the newly revamped "Brights Collection".  It's called "Gorgeous Grape".

I'm a big lover of purple and honestly I haven't felt this giddy about using purple in my Christmas card making since Stampin' Up! retired Concord Crush several years ago.  Check out these two favourites: November Christmas Card Class and Monkey86: Holidays & Sketch Challenge

So here's my Walking in the Winter Woods:



Just imagine it's around supper time in late November, and the sun is disappearing over the hillside as you finish your walk in the woods.  Snow is softly falling and the light is reflecting those last rays............


These beautiful trees and deer were die cut using the recently retired Card Front Builder Die set. These die cuts were perfect for adding an upclose scene to the bottom of the card.  I glued two trees to the card front and acetate window panel and then attached the deer and single tree with Dimensionals.  Before attaching these elements, I ran the Scenic Seasons tree stamp and Gorgeous Grape ink over the die cut tree to give the illusion of branches, and coloured around the edges with a sponge dauber. I also dabbled White Gel Pen around the tips of the trees and painted on a generous coating of Clear Wink of Stella.  These trees really shimmer and look like they have a fresh coating of snow.   



Supplies:
Stamp Up Stamp Sets:
Carols of Christmas (R), Christmas Bliss (R), Scenic Season (R)
Card Stock and Designer Papers:
Gorgeous Grape (New), Whisper White and Window Acetate 3 x 3 Sheet
Inks:  
Gorgeous Grape (New), Versa Mark
Accessories:
Big Shot, Paper Trimmer, Card Front Builder Die (R), Circle Thinlet Dies (R), Stitched Shapes Circle Dies, Wink of Stella, White Gel Pen, Sparkle Blends - Fairy Dust from Doodles Paper, Modern Label Punch, Softly Falling Embossing Folder, Heat Gun, White Embossing Powder, Adhesive Strips, Tom Bow Adhesive and Dimensionals.

Details:
1.  The card is an A2 Shaker Card with a top fold.  The base measured 4 1/4 x 11 and is scored at 5 1/2".  

2.  A 5 1/4" x 4" layer was cut from Gorgeous Grape card stock.  Before adhering this layer to the base I die cut the trees and deer from  the center of the card stock.

3.  The next panel is 5 1/8" x 3 7/8" and I cut a 3 1/4" circle in the top half.  

4.  For the window cover I cut a 3 1/2 x 3 1/2" piece of Window Acetate and adhered to the back of the panel in step 3.  Before adhering I wiped the Acetate Window sheet with my Stamping Buddy to remove any static electricity. To build the shaker wall I built a circle shape using adhesive strips and the cut circle as a guide.  

5.  The next layer is a 4" x 4" Whisper White panel that adheres to the back of the shaker outline.  I stamped the tree scene from Scenic Seasons in Gorgeous Grape and embossed to the bottom of the tree line with the Softly Falling Embossing Folder.  The dots from the embossing folder on the tree were gently sanded so it looked like fresh fallen snow.  

6.  I added Sparkle Blends Fairy Dust from Doodles Paper Playground to the inside of the shaker circle before adding the layer from step 5.  I added additional Adhesive Strips to this layer and mounted it to the card front.  

7.  I stamped the sentiment "Seasons Greetings and A Happy New Year" in Versa Mark ink on a scrap of Gorgeous Grape card stock and then heat set it.  I used the old Modern Label punch to cut out this sentiment and attached it to the top of the Acetate circle on the card front with Dimensionals.  

8.  Details related to the tree and deer scene at the bottom of the card are noted above in the photos. 

7.  I stamped the Peace on Earth sentiment from Carols of Christmas in Gorgeous Grape on a scrap of Whisper White and then cut it out with the 3" circle from Stitched Shapes dies.  This was mounted on a 3 1/4" circle of Gorgeous Grape cardstock and mounted to the inside of the card.  

I hope you enjoyed my Christmas card today.  Although it's not considered a traditional Christmas colour I think the Gorgeous Grape is very regal and works perfectly in creating this scene.  I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions for stamping with non-traditional colours in your creations.  

If you haven't already visited the other Design Team Artists I hope you'll revist the links before moving on.  Click here to return to the home page. 

Happy Stamping!
Penny Tokens Stampin' Spot 

15 comments:

Heidi Weaver said...

I absolutely love the vivid contrast between the lush purple and the white in your card, Penny. That Gorgeous Grape (or Gorgeous Purple which is less alliterative but equally true) is one terrific new colour as well as being so "on trend" at the moment. Love the shaker with those pale blue sequins. This is a stunning card and, perhaps, my new favourite Christmas combination.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Oh my Heidi you made my day pointing out my substitution of Grape and Purple............I told you I loved Purple, so I guess I just stuck with it. Oh I can see some changes coming in my post right now. Anyway glad you liked it. The lighting doesn't reflect the sequins as well as it should as they are absolutely beautiful in an array of white, translucent, mauve, and yes "purple".....not blue, so they were actually the perfect combination for this shaker card.

Heather Hopson said...

Penny, You Rock, with this card! I too, love purple and you have made a stunning card. I love the extra touches with the trees! Yes, I could walk right into that beautiful setting and hear the quiet of the woods. Well done! I have never thought of using purple for a Christmas card. You are so inspirational.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Penny - I love your Gorgeous Grape winter wonderland! Such a beautiful card - thanks for sharing :)

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Heather. Glad you could feel the scene and liked the non-traditional use of purple instead of blues or greens. This card would look good in those too, but just saying. Glad I could inspire you.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Deb. This was a really fun card to do. Glad you liked it.

Izzy Scrap said...

WOW ! Such a gorgeous shaker card and what a lovely winter scene ! I love the striking contrast of this beautiful purple over the white. Absolutely delicious and so eye-catching. I love this non-traditional colour for Christmas. Thanks so much for sharing and for inspiring. x

Trina P. said...

Oh Penny! Love your card! I’m a huge fan of non-traditional cards and your purple delight caught my attention immediately. Love the layout too. x

Granmargaret said...

Lovely card. I love the purple.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Hi Trina, thanks for visiting and your lovely comment. Glad you like the non-traditional colour and the layout.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Granmargaret thanks so much for visiting my blog and for taking the time to comment. I'm glad you like the purple, I do too. So glad to have both the Gorgeous Grape and the Highland Heather colours added to SU's new colour lineup.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Izzy, thanks for your delightful comment on my shaker card. I had fun making this one and enjoyed creating the scene. Glad you found merit in it.

Helen said...

Gorgeous grape is the perfect name for that colour ink! This card is so striking, Penny, with all the lovely elements and simple colour scheme!

Anonymous said...

Love the colour you've used

Anonymous said...

Love love love the card and everything about it

Happy St. Patty's Day!

Rainbows, a Pot of Gold, Leprechauns green beer and shenanigans are all part of celebrating St. Patty's Day on March 17th. I have a sma...