Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Watercooler Wednesday - #107 Penny's Masculine Anything Goes Challenge

Hi stampers!  Welcome back to the Watercooler Wednesday challengeThis week I'm happy to bring you a Masculine Challenge.  The style is an "anything goes" challenge so there aren't really any restrictions other than it has to be a guy card.    
Here's My Card:
I made this masculine birthday card for my dear brother-in-law Ken's February birthday.  Ken's kind of a burly guy but he's not reluctant to say he likes bling and he certainly is a fan of Stampin Up!, so I thought a combo of Bear Hugs and Balloon Adventure would fit the bill for his special day.
This is a Shadow Box card. I've haven't made a Shadow Box card for some time now, but when I saw a recent Dawn Griffiths post on Youtube  using Balloon Adventures and this card style, I knew I wanted to CASe it.  

What a fun card to make! I fell in love with this card style all over again.  For sizing and details on how to make a Shadow Box card just click on Dawn's name above for a direct link to the video.


Supplies:
Stamp Sets: Bear Hugs, Balloon Adventures, Bella and Friends
Card Stock:  Soft Suede, Very Vanilla, Basic Black
DSP:  Gold Glimmer Paper,  Type Style Designer Paper (R)
Ink: Tuxedo Momento Black, Soft Suede, Crumb Cake
Accessories:  Balloon Pop-Up Thinlet Dies, Bunch of Banners Thinlets, Big Shot, Trimmer, Dimensionals, Tom Bow Glue,Glue Dots.
Balloon Pop Up Thinlet Dies

Balloon Adventures part of the Party Animal Suite in the new Occasions 2017 Catalogue.
The sentiment is from Balloon Adventures, the little bear is from Bear Hugs and the small balloon  image is from Bella and Friends. The Very Vanilla panel is 5" x 3 1/2" and is layered on Basic Black.

The layers for my card front are:  5 1/2 x 8 1/2" Soft Suede card base.  1st layer is  5 1/4" x 4" Very Vanilla, 5" x 3 3/4" DSP layer.  For the layers with the bear I cut a 3" x 3 1/2" Soft Suede, 2 3/4" x 3 1/4" Basic Black and a 2 1/2" x 3" Very Vanilla panels.
Here's a side view of the sentiment and balloons.  The "Party On" sentiment is from the Balloon Adventures stamp set. I stamped it in Momento Tuxedo Black ink on a scrap of Very Vanilla card stock and then cut it out with the Bunch of Banners Thinlet Dies.  The edges  were sponged with Soft Suede ink and I used a thumping technique to apply for ink to the banner to give it a mottled appearance.   I used the negative image dots from the die cut balloons as additional trim and applied them with glue dots. 

The Gold Glimmer Paper balloons were perfect for this card.   They add such sparkle to the soft Suede paper.  The large balloon die from Balloon Pop-Up Thinlets fits perfectly on this panel of the card so no extra trimming is required.  I used the "Let's Celebrate" stamp from the Balloon Adventures Stamp Set.
Well that's it for today.  I hope you enjoyed this card and will add this technique to your collection of fancy fold cards. If you haven't already checked out the other Watercooler Wednesday Design Artist's cards make sure you stop by. This challenge is open until 5:00pm MT so if you'd like to link up your masculine card creation, we'd be thrilled to have you join us. 


Happy Stamping!Penny Tokens Stampin' Spot 

6 comments:

Heather Hopson said...

Hi Penny, What a Special card for Ken. He will just love it! Yes, he is a firm supporter of Stampin up and what we can do with the products. Your shadow box is terrific. I, too, will be casing your instructions. You can tell the card is made with lots of love.

Fiona said...

I love this card Penny - I used to live in Houston and went on holiday to Colorado in the mountains and we were lucky enough to see a bear up close -he was only a baby though and more scared of us than we were of him. He looked just like this one though only smaller

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Heather so glad you like Ken's card. Now to get it in the mail. You can show it to him on his big day and tell him the real meal deal will arrive soon (fingers crossed). Glad you like the instructions for the shadow box. I'm glad i rediscovered this card style. So much fun!

Penny Hanuszak said...

We have lots of bears in BC where I live Fiona and they are almost like a fixture. That might be a reason I love the Bear Hugs set so much. Honestly it's one of my favourite guy stamp sets. Thanks for dropping by.

Heidi Weaver said...

Penny, I love your card. The front is great and even if you had done no more, it would have been a great card. But then you did it...you made the inside even more incredible than the front. Can you say "WOW!!!" The recipients of your cards must absolutely treasure them.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks so much Heidi for your wonderful comment on my card. I had such fun making this one, and I know that my BIL will be thrilled.

Happy St. Patty's Day!

Rainbows, a Pot of Gold, Leprechauns green beer and shenanigans are all part of celebrating St. Patty's Day on March 17th. I have a sma...