Saturday, July 27, 2024

Christmas In July - TSOT #161

WINNER UPDATE:  NEWS JUST IN!   

 TOP FOUR WINNER!

Click here to see the "Four" Winners for this Challenge! 

I was totally excited to see my card was chosen as part of the Top Four Winners in the Double Trouble Challenge #171.  I just had to share this awesome news!  I'll be posting my banner and making a few more of these cards, that's for sure! 

CHRISTMAS IN JULY TSOT #161 CHALLENGE: 

Click here to see the Design Team samples and challenge rule

Here is the latest sketch challenge over at Try Stamping on Tuesday's blog - TSOT #651.    I love this sketch outline and will have lots of time to work on it as the challenge runs from July 16th to August 4th

I decided to pair the TSOT #651 with the Double Trouble #171 challenge that runs from July 19th to 31st.  

There are three parts to this challenge:   Things 1: add a window or apertures to your card, Thing 2: include snow, snowflakes, Frosty or any other snowpeople, and Thing 3: Christmas in July theme.  Whew that's a lot to try and cram into a card.  


HERE'S MY CARD: 

This card challenge was right up my alley as I had "Christmas in July" cards to make, so it qualifies for the Thing 3 Twisted Sister challenge.  The stitched circle window (aperture) qualifies for the Thing 1 Trouble-maker "What's Your Drive Thru Window", and last but not least the Thing 2 Double Dare, for the Jingle Bells "Dashing Through the Snow Challenge".  



I started with a Whisper White Card base and added a layer of Misty Moonlight card stock followed by a piece of winter scene designer paper from the Feels Like Frost Specialty Design 6 x 6 pack (#150444 R). 

I used some Sizzix nested stitched circles dies to cut the aperture window.   I found it was easier to start by adhering the top two mats together and lining up the 2" circle die on top of the designer paper mat.  I ran these layers  through the big shot twice to make sure I'd cut through both layers.  

Once I removed the circle of DSP I adhered the double mat to the card base.   To cut the circle through the card base I simply put the die back in the space where the circle was die cut from and then ran this stack through the big shot again, removing the white circle from the card front.  

I secured the two nesting circle dies on a scrap piece of Misty Moonlight cardstock with some washi tape and then ran this through the big shot.  I adhered the Misty Moonlight circle around the window to give it a more finished look.  

The cute little snowman is from an old Stampin' Up! set called "Snowman Season" #150458(R).   I used dimensionals to mount this 1 1/2" stitched circle to the circle left over from cutting out the window from the designer series paper. 

For my sentiment I stamped "Tis the Season to be Freezin" in Misty Moonlight ink on a scrap of Whisper White cardstock.  I cut this piece down and mounted it to a piece of Misty Moonlight and then adhered it to the card front with dimensionals.  A few silver flat sequins added some sparkle to the finished card. 


Well that's it for this "Christmas in July" card.  I hope you liked it.  This card design is a great way to show off some of those winter scene designer papers and is super quick and easy to make.   

HAPPY STAMPING!
PENNY TOKENS STAMPIN' SPOT! 

Penny Hanuszak, CDN Stampin' Up Demo Since 2006


15 comments:

Melanie Hungerford said...

Love this design with the opening and the great background paper, great card! Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble!

Laurie Unger said...

Darling card and awesome job with all the challenges. I'm love and collect snowmen, so this one jumped out at me! Thanks for playing over at TSOT.

Suzanne Reynolds said...

Love the aperture cut your used and then used the negative on the inside of the card with a snowman and made it carry through the scene on the front of the card.
Super cute card. Thanks for sharing with our DTC and Jingle Belles collaborating challenge, as well as using our sister's challenge Sketch at TSOT.

Alyson Mayo said...

Love that snowman against that gorgeous scene paper. Thanks for sharing with us at both Double Trouble and TSOT :)

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks so much for your wonderful comment, so appreciated.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Hi Laurie. Thanks for your comment. I'm a snowman lover too! Appreciated it.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Hi Suzanne, I'm glad you liked how I did the aperture and used all the bits and pieces for the inside of the card too. This was such a fun challenge and nice to participate across the board.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Alyson for your nice comment. Yes, that background paper was lovely and it really worked for this style of card. Cheers.

Suzanne H said...

The sketch was perfect for a window card. Love that snowman! Thanks for joining in at Double Trouble 171 - Crazy Cousin Suzanne

Dena J said...

What a perfect take on the sketch and such a sweet, happy snowman! Thank you for joining the challenge at TSOT.

Donna Scholz said...

Penny, such a cute card! I love all the shades of blue you used to go along with your "freezin" theme!! Thank you for sharing your card with both TSOT sketch challenge, and Double Trouble's "window" challenge!!! -Donna

lauren bergold said...

Super adorable snowman and I love the way you've combined the window from Double Trouble with that cool sketch! So happy you could join our SNOWY fun at Jingle Belles (&Double Trouble!) this fortnight.

Melanie R said...

Great take on the TSOT sketch and on the aperture for Double Trouble! The colors are perfect and your snowman is just the best! Thank you for playing along with us at TSOT #651 and Double Trouble #171.

kramer_buffy said...

It's almost like he is inside a snowglobe, so darling!

Thanks so much for playing with us at TSOT!
--Dalis
http://instagram.com/stamprgrl

paper bag create said...

Love this card Penny! Such the cutest snowman! Perfect parking with the dsp. :)

Let It Snow Tag Card - Top Three Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge

      I just saw the results for the Design Team picks for the Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge #593 and I'm thrilled to say that my ca...