Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Watercooler Wednesday Challenge #151 - Charlotte's Feminine "Anything Goes" Challenge

Happy Wednesday everyone!  I hope you've had a terrific Christmas and New Years.  Life's been hectic around our house with lots of seasonal activities and not much time for stamping, but now it's time to shake out the cob webs and start a whole new season of challenges at Watercooler Wednesday.  Are you ready?

Before we get started I want to give a shout out to Helen Finlay from Queensland, Australia, who is joining us this challenge as our newest design team member.  Welcome on board Helen!

Our very talented Charlotte Ehrukainen, is our first hostess of the year and is challenging us to create a "Feminine" Anything Goes project, so we hope you'll play along with us.



Here's My Project:
One of my 2018 New Years resolutions is to "buy less and use more" and my goal is to incorporate more designer papers into my projects and use up some of the scraps that I seem to be hoarding. 

Today's monochromatic feminine birthday card is based on that resolution.
By cutting a series of DSP scraps into squares and mounting them on matching card stock I was able to cover the front panel of the card.  The pattern layout works for either a side or top fold card. 
The birthday wishes have been stamped on the inside. All in all, this was a super fast and easy card that can be put together in assembly line fashion and would make nice cards for card gift boxes or packages. I plan on making a lot more of these cards.

Supplies:
Stamp Sets:  Half Full, Beautiful Bouquet
Ink:  Old Olive 
Card Stock:  Old Olive and Whisper White
Designer Series Paper:  Merry Little Christmas DSP
Accessories:  Big Shot, Rectangle Stitched Dies,  Paper Trimmer, Dimensionals,  Sticky Strip, Wink of Stella, Sponge Dauber.

How It's Made:
1.  The Old Olive Card base measures 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" and is scored at 4 1/4".

2.  I cut two 5 1/4 x 4" pieces of Whisper White for the first and inside layers.

3.  Cut 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" squares from Designer Paper.  Use 3 patterns and cut two from each design. Cut one  3/8" x 5" strip of DSP. Use a sponge dauber and Old Olive ink to sponge the edges. 

4.  Cut 6 squares of Old Olive card stock measuring 1 5/8" x 1 5/8" and one strip 1/2" x 5".  Sponge the edges of these pieces with Old Olive and then glue the DSP squares and strip to same. 

5.  Attach the squares and strip to the card front with adhesive leaving a small amount of white space between the squares and sides of the white panel.  Before attaching decide how you want your patterns on the squares to align.

6.  On a scrap of Whisper White stamp the "Wine Improves with Age...." image in Old Olive ink. Colour the grapes with Wink of Stella to add a little sparkle. Fussy cut around the label's edge.


7.  Cut a 3" rectangle from Old Olive and attach the label with dimensionals.  Add sticky strip to the back of the rectangle and attach to the center of the card.

8.  On the inside Whisper White panel stamp the "Happy Birthday" sentiment from the Beautiful Bouquet set towards the top of the panel.  Stamp the sentiment and wine bottles towards the bottom half of the panel.  Attach to the inside of the card.


And, that's all there is to this card.  Very easy.  I hope you'll try out this paper piecing technique.       
Just a reminder to stop by and check out the rest of the Watercooler Wednesday Design Team's contributions to this challenge. For details on how the other Watercooler Artists created their projects, just click on the name underneath each photo and you will be taken to that blog post.  This challenge ends on Monday January 8th at 5:00pm MST. 

Happy Stamping!
Penny Tokens Stampin Spot

5 comments:

Heather Hopson said...

Your card is beautiful Penny. Both inside and out. What a great card to use bits and pieces of dsp. I really liked how you did the sentiment. Very creative. This is a great way to use the tag punch for the top of the sentiment. I know you don't have all the tools where you are, and you have adapted the top of the sentiment with your fussy cutting. The colors are great too!

Heidi Weaver said...

Hi Penny, I'm going to have to follow suit and embrace your resolution. I hardly use the DSP which I buy and am tired of seeing it sit and then retire. Your wonderful combination of all those designs is inspiring. It's hard to believe that such a stunning card only showcases two colours: white and old olive. But it works beautifully and so does that sentiment---which I also love. Happy New Year to you as well.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Heidi. I'm the same. I don't know what I'm keeping all the DSP for. I'll be doing a lot more cards like this one in the future.

Helen said...

A monochromatic card is always so elegant Penny. Your card is just that. I love your new year resolution. Good luck!!! :)I seem to have a never ending supply of designer papers and yet I find I seldom use them on my cards.

Lady Joyful said...

Really fun card, Penny. I love that you went monochromatic, and the row of wine glasses on the inside is a great touch.

Happy St. Patty's Day!

Rainbows, a Pot of Gold, Leprechauns green beer and shenanigans are all part of celebrating St. Patty's Day on March 17th. I have a sma...