Thursday, October 3, 2013

Post It Note and Pen Holder - Tutorial



Aren't these cute?  Post It Note and Pen Holders are one of my favourite gift items to make. Especially at Christmas time.  

These little cuties make great stocking stuffers or hostess gifts and sell quickly at craft and vendor fairs.  People can't resist them, after all everyone uses Post It Notes in some shape or form.

Another thing I like about making Post It Note holders is that they're adaptable for any season and they're quick and easy to make.  Anyone can make these!  

Today I'm going to walk you through the easy steps and show you some samples from my recent Christmas theme Post It Note & Pen Holders.   Enjoy!

Supplies and Accessories:
  • Small mini gel pens ( I buy mine at Staples - 12 to a package for $3.95)
  • Post It Notes (I'm using 3 x 3 post it notes for these holders)
  • Card stock cut to 3 1/4 x 7 3/8" for the base a contrasting card stock measuring 2 7/8 x 3 1/8" for the first layer and a neutral card stock measuring 2 3/4 x 3" for the next layer
  • Designer Series Paper in two coordinating designs enough to punch out four 1 1/4" squares
  • 1 1/4" Square Punch
  • Stamp Set of your choice or embellishment for center of cover
  • Ink to coordinate with DSP and card stock
  • Paper Trimmer
  • Adhesive - Snail and Sticky Strip
 Steps to Create Post It Note Holder:
1. Cut card stock for base to measure 3 1/4 x 7 3/8", score at 3 1/8, 3 1/2 and 3 7/8 inches.


2. Crease along each score line with a bone folder. Fold cover on the 3 1/2 score line. 



3.  Make two cuts to the score line about an inch apart for the pen holder.See picture for placement.

4.  Open up the card stock and leave the slot for the pen facing outwards but push the two outer pieces to the inside of the cover.  Apply two small strips of sticky strip to the inside score line between the 3 1/2 and 3 7/8 lines and then fold to the back to adhere.




5.  Attach the Post It Note pad to the back cover with sticky strip, and   decorate the front of the  cover in whatever design you choose.  

Here's two of my recent designs:

  • For this Post It Note and Pen Holder I used Smokey Slate for the card base, Coastal Cabanna for the 1st layer (2 7/8 x 3 1/8") and Whisper White for the next layer (2 3/4 x 3") and adhered them to the front of the note holder.  
  • I cut out four 1 1/4" DSP squares from the Winter Frost DSP Stack #132183 and adhered them to Whisper White layer, leaving a space in between the squares.  
  • I adhered a piece of Silver Glimmer Paper cut to 2 3/4 x 1/4" in the center between the squares.  
  • For the embellishment I cut out two of the small snowflakes with the Festive Flurry Framelits #132193 - one was stamped in Smokey Slate on Whisper White with the Festive Flurry stamp set #131781 and the other was cut from Silver Glimmer paper.  These snowflakes were glued together with glue dots and then mounted to the center of the DSP squares with Stampin' Dimensionals.  
  • I matched up the colour of the mini gel pen with the card stock. 
  • This Post It Note and Pen Holder is made the same as the above sample, but with the following changes:  
  • I used Real Red card stock for the base and topped it with a piece of Gumball Green card stock (1st layer).
  • I added Whisper White for the next layer and topped this with four squares punched from the Season of Style DSP Stack #132181.  
  • Red Glimmer Paper was adhered to the center.  
  • I stamped the Santa image from the Tag It stamp set #130303 for the tag in Gumball Green and Real Red inks.  Tip:  I stamped two tags, one in Gumball Green and the next in Real Red and then I cut out the Real Red Santa square and glued it to the Gumball Green base. 
  • The tag was cut out with the Chalk Talk Framelit dies and mounted to the note book base with dimensionals.  I matched up a red gel pen to the notebook cover. 
Here's what the inside of the Post It Note Holder looks like.







3 comments:

lisa808 said...

Thanks for the tutorial.

Two Happy Stampers said...

These are super cute, Penny! Thanks so much for sharing the how-to's for creating them.

Julie A. said...

Penny- they are adorable! I've been wanting to make these for a long time. Even bought the mini pens a while back and just never got around to it. I don't even think I ever had a tutorial, so I really appreciate it:) thanks for sharing!

Happy St. Patty's Day!

Rainbows, a Pot of Gold, Leprechauns green beer and shenanigans are all part of celebrating St. Patty's Day on March 17th. I have a sma...