Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Watercooler Wednesday #WWC153 - Gail's Masculine "Anything Goes" Challenge

This past week has been so much fun.  It's been filled with good things like being with friends, playing cards, cooking Pierogies and entertaining.  All things that put joy in my heart.  The warmer weather and longer days are also contributing to my good spirits.  

Although I didn't have much time for stamping my thoughts were on it and I was able to design a card for the WWC153 at the Watercooler.  Gail Allen is our hostess and she's challenging you to step away from your comfort zone and make a "Masculine Card".

The WWC153 challenge is open for links until 5:00pm MST Monday January 22nd, 2018.  There's plenty of time.

Here's My Card:



Supplies:
Stamps:  Country Living, Gorgeous Grunge, Make a Wish (Fiskers)
Inks: Smokey Slate, Momento Tuxedo Black, Chocolate Chip, Early Espresso,
Card Stock:  Smokey Slate, Basic Black and Sahara Sand 
Accessories:   Paper Trimmer, Detail Scissors, Big Shot, Happy Birthday Thinlet, Tom Bow Adhesive, Gray Dots.


I made this card for a friend whose birthday is coming up soon.  He's into guitar picking and wearing boots, so this card is perfect for him.   I started with a Basic Gray layer for the card base and added a layer of Basic Black.  My third layer was a piece of Sahara Sand that I'd stamped the images on, but I kind of messed up on the stamping and had to cut it down  by a 1/4"  on all sides. Because this panel was so much smaller than I'd anticipated I layered on some   additional layers of DSP that I found in my scrap drawer.
I decided to use the Happy Birthday Thinlet for my sentiment on this card. The bold lettering was perfect.  Because this card is going overseas, I wanted it to be as light as possible and not too bulky.  By cutting two layers of the words in Basic Black and gluing them together, I was able to add a bit of texture and pop and keep the card weight in check. 

I coloured the boots with Chocolate Chip and Early Espresso inks that I'd watered down considerably.  I wanted the guitar to be the focal point so I coloured it with more intensity.  I has a bit of a sheen like a real guitar would. The basic gray dots and splashes from Gorgeous Grunge were added for more expression.

I kept the masculine feel on the inside of this card by adding a strip of the dsp and a piece of basic black card stock.  The sentiment is from an old Fiskars set I have called "Make a Wish".  I stamped it in Momento Tuxedo Black. 



And that's it for this week's challenge.  Hope you liked my card and will leave me a word of encouragement.  Don't forget to check out the entries by the other Design Team Artists at the Watercooler Wednesday challenge.

Happy Stamping!
Penny Tokens Stampin' Spot

3 comments:

Heather Hopson said...

Penny, your card is beautiful as ever! You show how versatile that stamp set is. The sentiment inside is also perfect. Love the words. Great coloring too!

Gail said...

Love how you've combined two awesome stamps sets and the Happy Birthday thinlits. Great colouring to highlight the guitar.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Gail for taking the time to comment. Yes, this is fast becoming one of my masculine stamp sets that I go to. Glad you liked the guitar colouring. I was really trying to get it to look real. Appreciated.

Happy St. Patty's Day!

Rainbows, a Pot of Gold, Leprechauns green beer and shenanigans are all part of celebrating St. Patty's Day on March 17th. I have a sma...