Friday, February 6, 2015

Super Bowl Thank You Card Set

How about those Sea Hawks?  Last Sunday my husband and I were invited to attend a neighbor's Super Bowl party, so along with our favourite party time appetizer, I made the hostess a small gift to thank her for her generous hospitality.  

Since our hostess is a great believer and user of "thank you" cards and notes, I decided to make her a box of six cards, using the new Butterfly Basics stamp set and matching dies.  

What fun I had making this wonderful set.  This is not my original design however.  I actually watched an awesome video demonstration by Brandy Cox on Youtube, and after I turned it off I had to grab my card stock and stamps and get to work making my own version.  You can find Brandy's fantastic Butterfly video at this link.

Supplies:
Stamp Sets:  Butterfly Basics Photopolymer Stamp set, Painted Petals and Gorgeous Grunge
Card Stock:  Whisper White and Night of Navy
Ink:  Hello Honey, Mossey Meadow, Night of Navy
Accessories:  Butterfly Basics Dies, Basic Rhinestones, Acrylic Blocks for stamps, 20" of sheer ribbon, 6 x 5 1/2" box, six Whisper White Envelopes, six cello bags, dimensionals and adhesive. 

How to Make The Cards:

1.  Cut six card bases from Whisper White card stock measuring 4 1/4 x 11. Score at 5 1/2".  
2.  Stamp a collage on the card front as follows:

  • Stamp the leaf image from Butterfly Basics in Mossey Meadow ink, towards the center top of the card. Stamp the first leaf image then keeping the stem in place move the leaf slightly to the left and stamp and then move the leaf to the right of the main leaf and stamp again.  The stems should stay tightly together and the stamped off leaf will create a shadow effect. Note:  Using the photopolymer stamp set made the leaf positioning super easy as you could see what you were doing throughout the process. 
  • Next ink up the honey comb image from Butterfly Basics in Hello Honey ink and stamp the image starting in the top right hand corner of the card front. Re-ink the stamp and stamp the image three more times moving the stamp downwards across the leaf each time it's stamped.  Try to keep the edges of the image just touching. 
  • Using Night of Navy ink and the speckled dots image from the Gorgeous Grunge stamp set, stamp dots lightly and sparingly over the leaf and honeycomb areas.   
  • Stamp the postage time stamp from Butterfly Basics in Night of Navy ink beside the leaf stems on the right hand side.
  • Stamp the "thank you" sentiment from the Painted Petals stamp set on the bottom left hand area of the card front using Mossey Meadow ink.  
  • On a scrap piece of paper stamp six of the lacey butterfly images from the Butterfly Basics stamp set in Night of Navy ink.  Cut these images out using the coordinating die cut.  Attach one of the butterflies with dimensionals beside the leaf images.  
  • Add a large Basic Rhinestone to the center of the butterfly image and then scatter some various sized rhinestones around the card face.  I used six rhinestones on each card front.  

I had already packaged up this gift set - three cards and three envelopes in each cello bag, and then realized I should have taken some photographs, so it's hard to see some of the details on these cards.  
3.  Inside of the Card:
  • Stamp the "You're Amazing, Amazing" image from Painted Petals in Mossey Meadow ink towards the top center of the inside of the card.
  • Stamp the leaf image on the right hand side of the card.  I only used the top portion of the leaf and angled it onto the card stock and then shadow stamped it once.  
  • Stamp the butterfly image in Night of Navy Ink towards the bottom of the leaf on the right hand side
  • Stamp some speckles with the Gorgeous Grunge speckled stamp image in Night of Navy. 
4.  Envelopes:
  • I made six white envelopes using my Envelope Punch Board.  I did not use Stampin' Up!'s Whisper White card stock for this because it's a little too heavy for envelopes, however I did use a 60lb weight card stock I'd purchased elsewhere.
  • I stamped the leaf and the postage seal stamps on the bottom left hand corner of the envelopes, repeating the pattern from the card fronts.  
  • I stamped the butterfly image on the envelope flap on the back of th e card in Night of Navy.
By simply repeating the same pattern as the cards you give an idea of what's to come when you open the envelope.  
5.  Card Box: 
I could have made a box to go along with these cards, however I had a white cardboard jewelry box left over from Christmas that was just the right size to hold the six cards and envelopes.  I decorated it as follows:
  • I cut a 6 18" x 5 3/4" piece of Night of Navy card stock and glued it to the box top.  
  • I re-stamped a piece of Whisper White card stock with the same images as the card front and adhered this to the Night of Navy card stock.
  • I cut two butterfly images out and adhered them to the top right and bottom left of the card box top.  I added large Basic Rhinestones to the centers of the butterflies and some additional rhinestones scattered around the design.
  • A sheer ribbon was added to hold the box together.  And, voila it was done! 




Here you can see the open box lid and the cards tucked inside.  
I hope you enjoyed these cards,  I absolutely loved them and plan on stamping a lot more of these to have on hand for gifts.  A special thanks again to Brandy Cox for her video tutorial and inspiration.

Happy Stamping!
Penny Tokens 


4 comments:

Deborah Smart said...

Penny, I just love how you've layered the stamps on your cards. What a lovely gift! The Night of Navy is gorgeous.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks for dropping by and your wonderful note Deb. I was inspired to make these cards by a Youtube video I watched called 20 cards in 10 minutes. It was made by Brandy Cox. I've updated my post to include her link to her video tutorial, which sadly I forgot in my original post........ sorry Brandy!

Jackie said...

This is a wonderful card set. I live the way you've used the stamps to create such a delicate look.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Jackie for dropping by and for your nice comment. These boxed sets are so easy to do and the recipient loved the style.

Zany Birthday FMS#628

Well another week has flown by and there's a promise of Spring between the rain drops.  I'm thrilled to see all the cherry trees sta...