Thursday, January 21, 2010

It's Raining Hummingbirds.................


What a week it's been in Southern California! We've had rain, rain and more rain.  A banner on the front page of the Desert Sun Newspaper this morning said "Drought May Be Ending".......a bit premature, however possibly true!  So many roads are flooded and there have been  power failures in the valley.  The bad news is more rain is expected before the weekend and the good news is there should be lots of sunshine following the storm.  From what I hear, all the snowbirds visiting the area for the Bob Hope Classic this week are in a great flap because "there's no sun" and another favourite whine "if we'd wanted rain we would have stayed home"........ you get the drift. 

I'm kind of enjoying it to tell the truth.  Gives me time to catch up on things especially spend some time stamping........... who could ask for more. 

So after looking at all this rain, I thought I'd share a picture of my little hummingbirds friends that come to visit every day.  They're all shivering and huddled under the canopy and are greedily lapping up the hummingbird food in the feeders. You can see the wet streets in the background.......... just to confirm "it is raining".  Anyway these little guys are so cute, and I love watching their antics out my kitchen window. We usually have between 35-40 at any given time between our 5 feeders.  All our visitors find them quite fascinating.  My DH and I often laugh about how rich we'd be if we'd taken out shares in a "Sugar Refinery".  These little guys are eating us out of house and home.  My favourite statement is "don't forget to buy sugar today", LOL!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hey Penny! I can't imagine the magic of having so many HUMMINGBIRD friends visiting your feeder! I guess my equivalent is Rainbow Lorikeets. :)

I, too, thrive on wet weather because it is so inspiring. I ALWAYS get the urge to be seriously creative during rainy days and with UStamp happening as well it's just Inspiration Heaven!

Happy St. Patty's Day!

Rainbows, a Pot of Gold, Leprechauns green beer and shenanigans are all part of celebrating St. Patty's Day on March 17th. I have a sma...