Hey thanks for stopping by. I have a fun card to share with you for the Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week. Our host is Helen Finlay and she's challenging you to create a card or project for any occasion. So, folks the sky is the limit because it can be about any holiday, a wedding or anniversary, a birthday, retirement...........oh and the list goes on.
Here's My Card:
During the month's of March and April, my paper crafting is all about "birthdays". It's like everyone I know was born in these two months. What's with that?
The card design I'm featuring this week is not original to me. It was designed by my friend and fellow demo Cheryl LeFore. Cheryl introduced me to Brusho Crystal Colour inks and how to use them in the creation of this wonderful card.
Thank you Cheryl.
Stamp Set: Beautiful Day 5 piece rubber stamp set.
Card Stock: Dapper Denim, Crushed Curry, Whisper White
Ink: Dapper Denim, Crushed Curry, Versa Mark and Prussian Blue and Yello Brusho's Crystal Color
Accessories: Big Shot, Paper Trimmer, Clear Acryllic Blocks, Fluttering Embossing Folder, 3/8" Mini Chevron Ribbon in Crushed Curry, Heat Gun, White Embossing Powder, Basic Rhinestones, Tom Bow Glue, Water Sprizer and Aqua Pen.
1. The card base is an 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" piece of Dapper Denim scored at 4 1/4".
2. The first layer is a 5 1/4" x 4" piece of Crushed Curry card stock. Adhere to card base.
3. The second layer consists of two pieces of card stock. The upper part is a 3 1/2" x 4" piece of Watercolor Paper and the bottom piece is 1 3/4" x 4" piece of Dapper Denim that has been scored with the Fluttering embossing folder. Note: I messed up putting this piece on the card, and didn't realize until it was finished that I put it on upside down and backwards. Don't do this at home............just saying.
|Not only are the butterflies upside down, but I also attached the piece with the debossed side showing. I obviously wasn't paying enough attention to the details when I assembled this part.|
4. The butterfly from the Beautiful Day set on page 26 of the Stampin' Up! Occasions catalogue was stamped in Versa Mark ink on the Watercolor Paper and heat embossed with White Embossing Powder. Once the embossing powder was heat set I spritzed water over the paper and wet it fairly well and then sprinkled on Prussian Blue and Yellow Brusho Crystals to create this colourful backdrop for the butterfly image. Note: This is a messy technique so make sure you have paper towels on hand and use the brushos with a gentle hand as a little go a long way.
The Brushos are a watercolor ink crystal, that when mixed with water make wonderful washes. You simply sprinkle or shake the brushos directly on tothe watercolour paper and then spray with water. The colours will burst and flow. You can use an aqua painter to move them around. Here's a video on how to use them properly.
5. Once the watercolour paper was dry it was adhered to the top part of the Crushed Curry layer and then the Dapper Denim strip was attached. The Crushed Curry ribbon strip was added before this layer was attached to the card front.
6. Three Basic Rhinestones were added to the center of the butterfly for adornment.
7. The inside panels on the card are a 5 1/4" x 4" piece of Crushed Curry and a 5" x 3 3/4" piece of Whisper White. The small rosettes and the sentiment "Happy Birthday, May Your Day Be AS Beautiful As You" are from the Beautiful Day stamp set.
8. I made a coordinating envelope by stamping a partial image of the Butterfly and flowers in the bottom left corner.
This was a fairly quick card to make and one that would be easy to do in assembly line fashion. The embossing on the watercolour paper was a bit difficult because of the bumpy texture of the paper, so be persistent when applying the heat to make sure you have embossed everything.
I hope you liked this week's card. If you have any questions about the Brushos or how I assembled this card, please comment or contact me on my email.
For details on how Helen and the other Watercooler Artists created their projects, just click on the name underneath the pictures and you will be taken to that blog post. Click here to go to the WWC161 Challenge. Lots of really cool cards! Until next time.....
Penny Tokens Stampin Spot