Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Masculine Card Birthday Card


I don't know why, but summertime seems to be the time of  year when I need masculine cards the most, and I never seem to have enought on hand.

This year I'm trying to stay ahead of the demand and want to share some of the quick masculine cards I've created.

POCKET CARD:
This first card is a two-pocket birthday card but it would also make a wonderful graduation, retirement or congratulations card for a boy/man. 

An 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of designer series paper is used for the base.  To make the card you simply fold the DSP in half, then open and fold in half in the other direction. 

Now open up the paper and fold the top left corner of the paper over to the center fold and crease the outside edge.  Then turn the paper 90 degrees and repeat this procedure with the opposite corner.  Fold the DSP in half from the bottom then fold again at the center crease.  You will now have a front and an inside pocket.

Once the folds are completed then the front and inside of the card can be decorated with whatever embellishments you want to jazz up the card with to make it occasion appropriate. Nothing could be easier. 

To dress up the front pocket, I cut and adhered a 5 x 4 piece of Cherry Cobber cardstock to the DSP.  Before gluing it down I embossed it using the Perfect Polka Dots Embossing folder.  Since I plan on tucking some scratch and win tickets in this pocket I've left it plain, but you could make a tag for this pocket too.  Before gluing the pocket down, I added a strip of Whisper White that I had punched out with the Scallop Border punch.  I stamped the globe from the Open Sea  stamp set in Midnight Muse on Whisper White card stock and punched out with the 2 1/2" Circle Punch and added a 2 3/4" Circle layer in Cherry Cobbler and a 3" Circle Originals Bigz Die cut layer in Midnight Muse.

For the inside pocket I made a simple pull-out tag for addingby layering Whisper White on Cherry Cobbler.  I stamped the beautiful sailing ship from the set The Open Sea with the new Midnight Muse In Colour and the Happy Birthday sentiment in Cherry Cobbler.  I also stamped the anchor from the On the Sea set on Whisper White and cut it out with the Oval Scallop Punch.  It was adhered on the left side of the card with dimensionals. 

TRI-FOLD CARD:

The second card I want to share with you is a simple tri-fold card.  Usually these are made with 12 x 12 card stock but I cut down the dimensions so I could use an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of cardstock for the base.  Here are the instructions:
 
·         Start with an 8.5 x 11 sheet of cardstock and cut to 8 .5 x 5.5”
·         Score at 1 ¾, 3 ½ , 7’, and 8 ¾”
·         Cut lines horizontally at 1 ½” and 3 ½” from 1st and last score lines
·         Your finished card will measure 3 ½ x 5

I used "Comfort Cafe" DSP #126898 for the DSP and Midnight Muse, Raspberry Ripple and Summer Starfruit cardstock.  Images from the Open Sea stamp set are inked with Raspberry Ripple and Midnight Muse inks.








Additional Non-Stampin' Up Cards:

We recently celebrated our friend Steve's 60th birthday and I wanted to make a special card for him.  My husband asked me to use a non-Stampin' Up! stamp set because this particular set would appeal to Steve. 

So with that in mind I made the following cards for my husband to choose from.  What I want to emphasize here is that these cards are made with Stampin' Up cardstock and inks and could  very easily have been made with SU stamp sets too. 
Made with Pacific Point, Daffodil Delight, Wild Wasabi, Real Red. Basic Black and Whisper White cardstock.  Basic Black ink and Versamark were used to emboss the images and sentiments

View of the inside of the cards


3 comments:

Kat said...

Penny these cards are amazing! I love the Open Sea stamp set and have to try the two pocket card and the tri-fold card--maybe today!!! Thanks for sharing:)

paper bag create said...

Love all the cards and the shutter card is FABULOUS!!! Too nice to give away! ;)
Cheers. Sheri

Patti said...

Wow, Penny, that's a lot of testosterone on this post. They are all great guy cards. And I like the variety of styles you made. Great job.

Zany Birthday FMS#628

Well another week has flown by and there's a promise of Spring between the rain drops.  I'm thrilled to see all the cherry trees sta...