Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Organizing Embossing Folders

Today's post is all about organization.  Some time ago I repurposed an old three drawer sewing cabinet into a cutting and embossing station.  I kept my collection of Embossing Folders (EF) in the top drawer so they  would be close to my Cut N' Emboss machine.  I used a set of file card alphabet dividers to keep them separate, and while that was okay, it was easy to miss the one you were looking for, or put it back in the wrong place when you were finished using it.

I found this really frustrating and was thinking of moving my EF to a bin however I found a simple, cost effective and doable solution to organize these folders, which simply makes me smile.  

Robin Feicht posted a Youtube video six years ago called Craft Room Organization Embossing Folders.  In the video she demonstrates her system for creating file folders for storing her EF in an organized, pretty and functional way.  After watching her video I was instantly motivated to organize my folders using her fantastic system.  

  

This storage system virtually was free because I used what I had on hand. I used smokey slate cardstock for the file folders. My Stampin' Up! Envelope maker came in handy for making the tabs, and luckily I had a new cartridge for my P-touch Label maker.  

I printed three labels each time - one for the file folder, one for the EF and one for a swatch book.  I embossed two swatches of each EF - one for the cover of the folder and the second for my swatch book.  I used retired cardstock and the file folder ones were all in blue while the swatch ones were smaller and whatever scrap cardstock I had on hand. I kept the original product jacket with the embossing folder in case I need it later on.  

I already had a swatch ring with smaller sized samples of the embossing folders so I just made sure it was up to date. 


I absolutely loved how well this came together, and have used this system successfully over the past few weeks.  I keep extra folders on hand so that if I buy new Embossing Folders, I can have the storage folder already assembled and labelled when my order arrives.  All I have to do is the swatches.  This is a win, win.  

After being so successful setting up the regular sized Embossing Folders, I have decided to use the same system to organize the larger square embossing folders that I have stored in a basket.   
These are some of my dies and big embossing folders sitting in baskets on my craft display cabinet.  They aren't in any kind of order and I'm constantly rummaging through them, wasting time, looking for the one I want. 

Because Stampin' Up! and some of the other manufacturers like Sizzix keep making larger EF I had to create a template that would work with these.  I used old white cardstock 65lb that I had purchased from Michaels for the folder and adjusted the measurements so the folder would hold the larger EF.  I cut the cardstock to 6 1/4" x 11" and scored it at 4 1/4 & 4 3/4" in the center.  The back of the folder is a little shorter, but that's okay it still contains the EF when it's inside.  The large swatch piece for the folder is 5 1/5" x 5 3/4" and these will all be the same color, again using retired cardstock that I had a lot of.  I am making a separate swatch sample book for these larger folder sizes.  

Here's what a finished folder should look like.  The embossed panels will all be in this Cantaloupe Crisp cardstock which I had a lot of. Because this is a work in progress, I won't cut the tab until I have all the folders in alphabetical order and the labels to attach.  That way I can have the tabs placed either on the right or the left to make it easier to see the folder.  


Here's what the folders will look like in the bin . 

I'm also working on separation cards for my die cut baskets to make it easier to locate what I'm looking for.  Again they'll be filed alphabetically and I am putting the product information sheet on the divider for reference.  If I ever sell the dies I can cut the divider and repackage them before they go to their new home. Here's what they are going to look like:

I indicate on the label how many dies are in the set, and I've been putting the long magnetic sheets into a cello envelope to make sure all the dies stay in tact.  I love this and it's going to work.  

Well that's it for today.  Let me know if you like this system or if you have any questions as to how I made the folders.  Honestly adding the labels and gluing the swatches to the front of the EF holders was a piece of cake and something I could do while I was watching tv.    Thanks for dropping by.

HAPPY STAMPING!
PENNY TOKENS STAMPIN' SPOT!
Penny Hanuszak, CDN Stampin' Up! Demo since 2006 





No comments:

Organizing Embossing Folders

Today's post is all about organization.  Some time ago I repurposed an old three drawer sewing cabinet into a cutting and embossing stat...