Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Watercooler Wednesday Challenge #139 - Kath's Feminine "Anything Goes"

Our weather shifted this week leaving us with three days of Fall wind, cloud and rain.  What's good about the shift is it doesn't make it difficult to stay in doors and stamp, and that's what I did without any guilty remorse. 

This week I had two wedding cads to make.  One of them was for our friend's son and his fiance who were having a small country wedding. I wanted to make them a special wedding and gift card holder, so the timing of Kath Rick's Feminine "Anything Goes Challenge worked out perfectly.   

Here's My Card:


 
I'm very much about tradition when it comes to Wedding cards.  This wedding was an outdoor country affair so I wanted to make something with a vintage, feminine appeal as well as some WOW factor, and I'm happy to say that's how this card turned out.    

I also wanted to incorporate a gift card holder into the card, but I wasn't sure how I wanted to do that.  My dilemma was solved when I watched a YouTube video by Dawn Griffith featuring a great gift card holder built right into a card.  I knew this design would be the perfect layout for my project and so I CASED Dawns.   All the instructions and measurements are on her blog  "Dawn's Stamping Thoughts" and on her video, so make sure you leave her a comment when you visit those sites.  

Supplies:
Stamp Sets: Floral Phrases#141767, For the New Two (R), Calm Christmas (R) and Colourful Seasons #143726
Card Stock:  Champagne Foil Sheets #144748, Whisper White, Soft Suede, Crumb Cake
DSP:  Non-Stamping Up - Elegant Holiday Paper DCWB
Ink:  Early Espresso, Crumb Cake
Accessories:  Stitched Shapes Thinlet Dies, Lots of Labels Thinlet Dies, Seasonal Layers Thinlet Dies, Dimensionals, Big Shot, Paper Trimmer, Basic Pearls 

Wow my old cake topper which dates back to 1969 sure looks "vanilla" in comparison to the Whisper White in the card and envelope.  Oh well that was 48 years ago, so it's bound to have faded.




Details:
I would have loved to have made my card using the beautiful Year of Cheer Suite, that's featured on pages 36 and 37 of the Holiday catalogue, but unfortunately, the only paper I had from that suite was the Champagne Foil Sheets and some Whisper White card stock. I was really excited about the combo of White, Gold and Crumb Cake in that paper pack. Oh well there was no time to order it in, so I just had to search my paper stack for something else. I struck pay dirt when I found a pack of DCWB paper called Elegant Holiday.
I chose a single-sided sheet of white and crumb cake paper with a pattern of doves and snowflakes on it.  Although it was Christmas paper I figured that the doves were close enough to the wedding theme to make it work.  It also enabled me to use a retired stamp set called Calm Christmas which features a beautiful floral dove, which I stamped on the inside of the card.
The back view of the gift card holder
Here's a view of the inside left panel where I stamped the "Calm Christmas" dove in Soft Suede ink.  The sentiment from Floral Phrases is stamped in Early Espresso.The Whisper White panel is mounted on a layer of Champagne Foil and Soft Suede card stock. which really added a beautiful touch.
To make this card/gift card holder you need to start with a 5 1/2" x 12" piece of dsp.  For the front of the card I cut banners from Whisper White, Crumb Cake and Soft Suede card stock and attached them on the left side. The Soft Suede and Whisper White banners measured 1 1/2" x 4" and the Crumb Cake one measured 1" x 4".  

The sentiment is from the retired "Colourful Seasons" stamp set.  I super love the font which is stamped in Early Espresso Ink.  The flowers are from the Colourful Seasons Stamp set set and were cut out with the coordinating Seasonal Layers Thinlet Dies.  I stamped them in Soft Suede and Crumb Cake Ink and added medium sized basic pearls to their centers.  I also added medium pearls to the Soft Suede banner.  The ovals for the sentiment were cut from Soft Suede, Champagne Foil and Whisper White card stocks with the Stitched Shapes Ovals.

In this view of the inside of the card you can see the fold that holds the gift card.  Before gluing down the fold, I added a piece of Soft Suede card stock.  The sentiment is from the Floral Phrases stamp set.  I used the Stitched Shapes dies to cut out a 3" circle from the DSP and a 2 3/4" circle from Whisper White and they were mounted on the pocket with Dimensionals.  Before Stamping Wedding Wishes on the Whisper White layer I stamped the floral image from The For the New Two stamp set in Crumb Cake.  I stamped off before applying the image so I would just get a hint of flowers behind the sentiment.  The Wedding Wishes sentiment is from Floral Phrases.  Five pearls were centered below the sentiment and a small Crumb Cake flower was added with a Mini Dimensional.
In this view you can see the insert I created from a small scrap of DSP and Whisper White Card Stock.  
The sentiment is from the "For The New Two" stamp set.  I cut a piece of the DSP with a Lots of Label Thinlet die and added it to the back of the Whisper White card stock to create a tab for pulling the card out.  I forgot to take a picture of the back of this tag, but I incorporated a slot for the gift card to fit in to.
The card was hand delivered, so I thought it would be a nice touch to stamp "congratulations" to the bride and groom  on the front of the envelope.

I hope you have enjoyed my Wedding Gift Card Holder and I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.  This card comes together super quickly, so it's a great pattern to have on hand.   If you haven't already checked out the other WWC Design Team members cards here's a direct link to the Watercooler Home Page.  Until next time.............

Happy Stamping!
Penny Tokens Stampin' Spot

8 comments:

Heather Hopson said...

Penny, what a goregeous card! I bet they were thrilled to receive it. You were able to mesh all the beautiful elements together. I love it!

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Heather, glad you liked my card. Yes they were happy with it!

Heidi Weaver said...

Wait till you see the inside, you said. Well you didn't disappoint. What a gorgeous card! There is so much wonderful detail and so much to love. The front blew me away but seeing the gift pocket inside as well as the embossed bird totally hit your card out of the park. Wow! The lucky couple to receive this must have been delighted.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Heidi. Glad you liked the inside too. It was a really good card to make and yes the couple were happy with it too! Win.Win!

paper bag create said...

Just simply GORGEOUS!! Another BEAUTIFUL Wedding card..you are the wedding card queen! Love all the details and the stamp sets that you used. :)

Penny Hanuszak said...

Wow Sheri thanks for your nice compliment and comment. This is a really fun style of card to make. I think I have to make some more!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

What GORGEOUS GORGEOUS cards, I love the design and result of your work. I have spent a happy time enjoying your other work too.

Thank you for your visit, by the way, the blinds are a Silhouette Cameo file and I have the link in the blog post, if you would like it.
Faith
x

Penny Hanuszak said...

Faith thanks so much for visiting and checking out my blog. I post regularly so I hope you'll come back. I so enjoyed yours too! Thanks for the information about the blinds Silhouette File. I may take you up on that offer for the link. Appreciated.

Happy St. Patty's Day!

Rainbows, a Pot of Gold, Leprechauns green beer and shenanigans are all part of celebrating St. Patty's Day on March 17th. I have a sma...