Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Watercooler Wednesday Challenge #125 - Kath's Christmas Challenge



I found it ironic that this week's Watercooler Wednesday Challenge hosted by Kath, is a Christmas theme just when the sun has finally decided to shine and the temperature gauge is rising.  When "it's beginning to look at lot like summer" outside I find it hard to get into a creative Christmas mood but I actually did.  Kath's challenge WWC125 is all about using Non-Traditional Christmas Colors.  Here's her inspiration poster. 

Here's My Card:
The colours I chose for my card are Black, Gray and Dijon.  In my neck of the woods that's pretty non-traditional. What do you think?


I love this little Eskimo image.  It's hard to tell whether its a boy or a girl the way it's bundled up in its cute little outfit.  I stamped the image once on Very Vanilla and again on Delightful Dijon card stocks and then punched them out with the Cookie Cutter Builder Punch.  I fussy cut around the Delightful Dijon jacket and shoes and then paper pieced them to the Very Vanilla image.  The rest of the Eskimo's attire and skin were coloured with markers and skin toned blendabilities.
I used my Misti to stamp the bold Christmas Banner image from the Time of Year (R) stamp set.  Because I was able to ink up the photopolymer stamp three times to achieve the contrast I wanted, the banner really pops off the page.  I created a "Midnight Sun" by layering a Basic Gray 3" Stitched Circle die cut, a Delightful Dijon medallion from the Eastern Medallion Thinlet Dies and a Basic Gray snowflake from the new Seasonal Layers Thinlet Dies.  The addition of Basic Rhinestones to the snowflake and medallion really adds some seasonal sparkle to this card face.
Inside the card I've added two of the snowflake images from the Seasonal Layer's Thinlet set and the sentiment "Let it Snow" is an A Muse Artstamp.
Supplies:
Stamp Sets:  Cookie Cutter Christmas (R), Time of the Year (R)
Ink:  Momento Tuxedo Black, Sahara Sand, Smokey Slate, Soft Suede markers and the Skin Tone Blendabilities (R)
Card Stock:  Basic Black, Basic Gray, Very Vanilla, and Delightful Dijon (R)
Designer Series Paper:  Warmth and Cheer DSP
Accessories:  Big Shot, Paper Trimmer, Tom Bow Glue, Misti, Dimensionals, Cookie Cutter Builder Punch, Seasonal Layers, Eastern Medallion and Stitched Shapes Thinlets, Wink of Stella.



Well that's my take on this week's challenge. I always get such a kick out of working with the Cookie Cutter Christmas stamp set and punch and was delighted to find out they'd been carried over to the 2017-18 Annual Catalogue. I'd love to have your feedback on this card and whether you would use non traditional colours like this for your own cards. 

If you haven't checked out the creations by the Watercooler Wednesday Design make sure you visit the home page. And, I hope you'll join us and create something in a non-traditional Christmas colour because along with myself, the Design Team would love to have you link up with us. This challenge runs from June 28th through 5pm on Monday July 3rd, 2017.

HAPPY STAMPING!
PENNY TOKENS STAMPIN' SPOT

5 comments:

Heather Hopson said...

I love your little Eskimo person. Yeh, kinda hard to get into the Christmas feeling. The colors you chose are definately non-traditional. That was a great way to use the medallion die as well.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks for dropping by and leaving me some love Heather. Yeah I never used that little Eskimo much last year, but it's ever so cute and I had fun paper piecing his little outfit.

Anonymous said...

Penny, this card is fabulous! The colours are totally non-traditional, but it completely works! The addition of the snowflake in the middle of the medallion is perfect.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks for your comment Deborah and for stopping by to check out my card today. Much appreciated. Yeah, I think that snowflake really helped to capture the winter feel and I loved how the colours worked together. Hugs. Miss you on the challenges.

Skye said...

A terrific card. Yes the colour combo is not the traditional Christmas colours but the work beautifully. Love your little Eskimo, very sweet.

Thank you for your kind comments on my blog. I was very nervous about my design so was happy to receive your positive feedback.

Zany Birthday FMS#628

Well another week has flown by and there's a promise of Spring between the rain drops.  I'm thrilled to see all the cherry trees sta...