Friday, October 11, 2013

Pals Color Challenge #175

Fall has arrived and the Pals Paper Challenge design team has selected 3 of the most glorious fall colours for inspiration this week.  I just couldn't resist playing along, and I hope you'll be inspired to do so too!

Today is the beginning of our Thanks Giving Day celebrations in Canada so my choice of cards was easy.  And, since I was already busy putting together a Pinwheel card tutorial I thought perfect, I'll combine this challenge with that - even easier!  

Here's the pinwheel I made:


The card base for the pin wheel is Always Artichoke cut into two 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" squares.  See tutorial for assembly instructions. 

I needed some DSP to correspond but didn't have any so I decided to make my own.  I chose an 8 1/2 x 11"  sheet of So Saffron DSP to make a One Sheet Wonder background.  To begin I stamped the leaves from the Wonderfall stamp set randomly in So Saffron, Always Artichoke and Cajun Craze across the card stock.  I then inked up the tire track, small and large splotches and speckles stamps from Gorgeous Grunge in the same inks with a touch of Early Espresso and Cherry Cobbler thrown into the mix.  To finish my One Sheet Wonder I stamped the Off the Grid stamp in Versa Mark ink and embossed it with Gold Embossing Powder.  Voila my very own designer paper.  
This is the One Sheet Wonder with just the Wonderfall Stamp set images stamped on it.

Here is the finished One Sheet Wonder that has images from Gorgeous Grunge and Off the Grid stamped on it along with Wonderfall. 

For this card I cut a 6 x 1" strip of the One Sheet Wonder and worked it into the Pinwheel design.  I needed 4 of the dsp and 4 coordinating squares which I chose to cut out of Champagne Glitter paper.  I think it looks pretty good.  To finish the pinwheel I sponged the around the outside edges with Old Artichoke to give it an aged look and that worked too.  

The sentiment "Happy Thanks Giving" is from the Tags 4 You stamp set in the Holiday Catalogue.  I layered it onto a couple of Cajun Craze bracket labels that I cut in half and glued to the back of the sentiment label.  This piece was adhered with dimensionals to the pinwheel and a couple of basic rhinestones were added for bling. 


The card base is a piece of 8 1/2 x 5 1/2" Always Artichoke card stock that was scored and folded at the center.  Next came a 5 1/4 x 4" piece of the One Sheet Wonder dsp, topped with a 5 1/2" x 1 1/2" strip of So Saffron card stock that was dry embossed with the Honeycomb Embossing Folder.  I thought that added a bit to the outdoor theme.  And finally two 1/4" x 5 1/2" strips of Champagne Glimmer paper were added to this strip before it was adhered to the card front, for some added dazzle.



Although the inside of the card looks almost white in this picture, trust me it is from So Saffron card stock that's been dressed up with some additional stamping from the Gorgeous Grunge and Wonderfall Stamp sets.  The sentiment "Thinking of You" is from the retired All Year Cheer Stamp Set #II, which I simply cannot part with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Penny, this is great DSP and background art! Love it and love the look of your card. Beautiful! Thanks for joining us at the Pals Paper Arts this week.

paper bag create said...

Gorgeous dsp!!! Totally rawks... Beautiful card. Happy Thanksgiving. :)

Zany Birthday FMS#628

Well another week has flown by and there's a promise of Spring between the rain drops.  I'm thrilled to see all the cherry trees sta...