Monday, October 4, 2010

A "Walk" for the Cure - Breast Cancer

We all know someone touched by breast cancer, whether it's your mother, sister, friend or work colleague.  Although it hasn't been in my immediate family, I've lost friends to this dreadful disease, and I also have valliant friends that are Breast Cancer survivors.

My good stamping buddy Sheri works for CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Canada), and has been an active participant in fund raising for their annual "CIBC - Run for the Cure" held on October 3rd.  CIBC is just one of the many great corporate sponsors who fund raises in tandem with the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation in BC.  To show her support this year, Sheri held a card class and set up an on-line donation site for her portion of the fundraiser. Sheri also participates in the "run", and because I'm a fan and supporter too, I was fortunate enough to join her yesterday along, with thousands of others at Rotary Stadium in Abbotsford for this annual event.

Putting on the Corporate Team Shirt
Okay a little big in the shoulders but it really looks good!
  Now you have to know that Sheri and I aren't runners..........let's face it, our love in life is "stamping" what else.  But, occasionally we do get out and enjoy the fresh air and the joy of "walking".  So that's what we did.  We accomplished the 5k walk in under an hour, yakking about "stamping" the whole way!  What fun!!!   I was fascinated by all the "in the pink" participants, sporting pink wigs, t-shirts, runners and you name it in terms of costumes and props.  Also along for the walk were hundreds of willing children and pooches dressed in tutus, t-shirts, pink collars and shades!    It was hard to say who was cuter the dogs or the kids!  It was a great way to spend a Sunday morning and it felt terrific getting out for such a worthwhile cause .  My pledge is to get in shape for next year so I can actually run the 5k, raise some donation funds of my own, and make sure I get my annual mamogram. It's important!
Here's the starting gate - and we're on our way to5K!!!

1 comment:

paper bag create said...

Thanks for joining me Penny....and maybe next year....we'll RUN it!
It was GREAT to do the walk together!
Smiles.

Zany Birthday FMS#628

Well another week has flown by and there's a promise of Spring between the rain drops.  I'm thrilled to see all the cherry trees sta...