Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Watercooler Wednesday #120 - Gail's Christmas Challenge


Our new lineup of weekly challenges includes a Christmas Challenge and the talented Gail Allen is leading the first one with her WWC120 - Christmas Challenge.  Her inspiration photo is so cute, who could resist.  What fun! 

So even though it's not quite summer the Watercooler Wednesday Design Team have mustered up their Christmas Spirit and come up with some really great seasonal cards to share with you.  I know you're going to enjoy them too.   

And, hopefully you'll feel inspired too and get an early start on your seasonal cards and share your creation by linking up with us for some fun too!  This challenge is open from May 24th through 5pm Mountain Time on Monday May 29th, 2017.  

My Card:

One of my most stamped Christmas sets last year was Cookie Cutter Christmas. I absolutely adored every single imageWhen I found out it was carried over into the new 2017-18 Annual Catalogue, I whooped for joy and did a happy dance!  It was like welcoming back an old friend. 

So, for this first ever Christmas Challenge at the Watercooler, it will probably come as no surprise that I chose this set and my favourite image from it for today's card.  Hope you love it as much as I do! 

Supplies:
Stamp Sets: Cookie Cutter Christmas #132043, Here's to Cheers (R)
Card Stock and DSP: Cherry Cobbler, Garden Green, Crumb Cake and Warmth and Cheer DSP Stack(R)
Ink: Momento Tuxedo Black ink
Accessories: Big Shot, Trimmer, Cookie Cutter Builder Punch (140396), Shaker Shapes Framelits (R), Stitched Shapes Framelits (145372, Jingle Bell (R) 

How It's Made:
Card Layers Inside and Out:  
1.  Card Base - Cherry Cobbler 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" scored at 4 1/4" 
2.  First Layer - Garden Green 4" x 5 1/4".  Cut out the Oval and Circle from this piece before adhering it to the card base. 
3.  Second Layer - Basic Black 3 3/4" x 5" - Cut out oval before adhering to first layer. 
4.  Third Layer - Warmth and Cheer DSP - 3 5/8" x 4 7/8" adhere to second layer.  Note:  I purchased this paper pack on the current Clearance Rack and it's going to be perfect for making this season's Christmas projects.  Love it!
Warmth and Cheer DSP  is currently on sale for more than 50% off on the Clearance Rack


Oval Layers: 
Note:  As you probably know from past tutorials, I number my Stitched Shapes Thinlets from the inside (smallest) to the outside (largest).  The following directions list the number (#) of the thinlet instead of the size.
Stitched Shape Thinlets There are 12 dies in this set of Thinlets, and I number them from the smallest die through to the largest 1 - 4:
Circle: 4 dies, largest image 2-7/8"
Square: 4 dies, largest image 2-5/8”
Ovals: 4 dies, largest image 3-1/4” x 2-5/16”
Use with Big Shot, Big Shot Platform, and Standard Cutting Pads
 

1. 1st layer:  #4 Oval - Garden Green oval (cut from First Panel).
2. 2nd layer: #3 Oval - Basic Black oval (cut from Second layer).  Cut another #3 oval from a scrap of DSP, and then cut it into thirds.  Throw away the two ends and glue the remaining piece across the center of the Basic Black Oval, lining up the stitch marks.  Mount the black oval with Dimensionals to the green one. 
3. 3rd layer:  Stamp the Deer image from Cookie Cutter Christmas in Momento Tuxedo Black ink on Crumb Cake card stock and punch out with the Cookie Cutter Builder PunchAdhere to DSP with Dimensionals.  Die cut a small bow from Shaker Shapes in Cherry Cobbler card stock and mount with Mini Glue dots below the deer head.  Attach a silver jingle bell to the center of the bow with Mini Glue dots.  Attach the oval to the top left corner of the Third Layer approximately a 1/2" below the top and to the side.  Glue flat with Tom Bow Glue to the DSP layer. 
 
Cookie Cutter Builder Punch cuts out all the characters from the Cookie Cutter Christmas Stamp set, plus a cute little bow tie and heart. 

Sentiment Layer:
1.  Stamp the "Just Spreading Cheer This Christmas" sentiment in Momento Tuxedo Black ink onto Crumb Cake card stock.  Cut out with 1 5/8" circle die and layer onto the #2 Stitched Circles Garden Green circle with Dimensionals. Glue flat with Tom Bow glue to the bottom right hand corner of the card face overlapping the panels. 

Inside Panel:
1.  Cut a 4" x 5 1/4" panel from Garden Green card stock and adhere to card base. 
2.  Cut a 3 3/4" x 5" panel from Crumb Cake card stock and adhere to Garden Green panel. Stamp the sentiment " Warm Heartfelt Greetings....." from the Cookie Cutter Christmas stamp set in Momento Tuxedo Black ink.  Stamp the deer's head in lower corner of the panel.  Add a small Cherry Cobbler bow under deer's chin with Mini Glue dots.  
3.  Cut a 1/2" x 5 piece of the Warmth and Cheer DSP and glue to the left side of the Crumb Cake panel leaving an 1/8" gap between the edge and DSP.


Well that's it for my Christmas share today.  I hope you like this card.  I know I do and I've got plans to duplicate it several times over using other papers from the Warmth and Cheer paper pack.  I just know that my relatives and friends will get a kick out of it too! 



If you haven't had a chance to see the cards from the rest of the DT make sure you stop by and check them out.  And, if you feel like it, leave me a comment and let me know if you enjoyed Gail's Watercooler Wednesday Christmas Challenge and how early you start making your seasonal cards.  I'd love to have your feedback, it makes my day! 
Happy Stamping!
Penny Tokens Stampin' Spot 

6 comments:

Heather Hopson said...

Penny, Oh, yes, this card is perfect! You have made another beautiful card and what a way to welcome in the first Watercooler Christmas challenge. I, too, love this stamp and punch set. I just love his bow tie and also how you carried him into the inside. Way to go Penny!

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks so much Heather, you're always my biggest fan! Much appreciated. Fun card to make. I smiled the whole time.

Fiona said...

Oh I love your Moose Penny - this was another set I didn't get last year so I can see another purchase coming on!!!

Keep It Sweet and Simple said...

Cute card - inside and out :-)
Thanks for choosing my card over at Watercooler Wednesday.
It really made my day seeing it up there.
xxx

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Fiona. I love that little deer, he's so sweet. I used that stamp so much last season he's like an old friend. You won't regret getting that set. Sorry to be an enabler.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Caroline. Glad you like my card inside and out. That's perfect. And, you're welcome about your card on the last challenge. I loved those cute little dogs and your colourful backgrounds.

Happy St. Patty's Day!

Rainbows, a Pot of Gold, Leprechauns green beer and shenanigans are all part of celebrating St. Patty's Day on March 17th. I have a sma...