Wednesday, October 26, 2016

WWC91 Marsha's Masculine Challenge - Anything Goes!

Hi Stampers.  Today at Watercooler Wednesday we have one of my favourite challenges hosted by Marsha Reed.  It's a Masculine Challenge and as long as it has a masculine theme "Anything Goes".  
Here's My Card: 
It will come as no surprise to those of you who follow my blog that I love the Bear Hugs stamp set.  It's become my number one "go to stamp" when I want something quirky and fun.  I think this Birthday Card is just that! 
 

Supplies:
Stamps:  Bear Hugs #139546, Swirly Bird #141749, Thoughtful Branches #143539 (R), and Stylized Birthday #141828
Card Stock:  Very Vanilla, Dapper Denim, Soft Suede, Crumb Cake
Inks:  Daffodil Delight, Dapper Denim, Crumb Cake, Honey Dijon, Soft Sky, Pear Pizzazz, Emerald Envy, Soft Suede, Early Espresso, Watermelon Wonder, Momento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: Bear Hugs Framelits, Bunch of Banner Framelit Dies, Big Shot, Trimmer, Dimensionals, Tom Bow Glue, Sticky Strip, Wink of Stella
Assembly:
1.  The card base is cut from Soft Suede Texturized Card Stock and measures 8 1/2" by 5 1/2".  This is a top fold card so it's scored at 4 1/2".

2.  The first layer is a piece of 5 1/4" x 4" Dapper Denim.

3.  The top layer is a piece of 3 3/4" x 5" Very Vanilla.  

4.  The inside layer is a piece of 5 1/4" x 4" Very Vanilla.  

5.  I stamped the large Swirly Sun from the Swirly Bird in the top left hand side of the Very Vanilla panel.  To add more dimension, I stamped the center of the sun with the solid medium circle image in Honey Dijon. I needed to create a mask to protect the sun while I sponged in the background colours so I did that on a post it note.  I began by sponging the sky in Soft Sky ink, leaving some white space so it looked like clouds.
6.  I also made a mask from a scrap of card stock to shape the hillside across the center of the card, and  sponged it with Crumb Cake and Soft Suede inks. My mask looked a little like the wave die in the bundle above.  I moved the mask down and alternated the inks as I sponged the hillside, creating a feeling of texture and depth. I stamped the grass image from Thoughtful Branches randomly across the hillside in Pear Pizzazz and Soft Suede inks.

7.  I stamped the 3-tree image from Thoughtful Branches across the hillside.  The branches were stamped in Pear Pizzazz and the trunks in Soft Suede.  Tip: I inked up the whole tree image in Soft Suede then removed the colour from the top of the trees with a baby wipe. Then I tapped the Pear Pizzazz ink pad over the top of the image to create the tree branches.  This could also have been done with a marker.

8.  I sponged Soft Sky and Dapper Denim inks on the bottom portion of the panel for the lake and then stamped over this with the wave image from Thoughtful Branches in Dapper Denim ink. I also swooshed some Dapper Denim over the water before adding the fish to give it some depth.

9.  The fish were stamped on a scrap of Very Vanilla card stock in Momento Tuxedo Black ink and were cut out with the Bear Hugs Framelit dies.  I coloured them with an aqua painter in shades of Dapper Denim, Emerald Envy, Watermelon Wonder, Honey Dijon. I coated them with Clear Wink of Stella to bring out that Rainbow Trout look.  I also waved the brush over the water to make it look like ripples.  The two end fish were glued directly to the water and the middle fish was popped up on a dimensional.  Note:  Before I give this card away I'm going to coat the fish with Crystal Effects(R) to make them shine.  I think that would be a nice touch.

10.  The bear from Bear Hugs was stamped on a scrap of Very Vanilla card stock with Momento Tuxedo Black ink and cut out with the Bear Hugs Framelits. I sponged the bear with Crumb Cake and Soft Suede inks.  I wanted the bear to look like it had just scooped up his fish so I cut a second bear image and removed the left arm.  I glued the corresponding arm to the back of the one that I wanted bent after sponging it with ink then gently bent it forward so it could hold the fish.  I glued the tail of the fish to the arm and popped the body of the fish up on a dimensional to give it more depth.

11.  Originally I stamped the sentiment from the Bear Hugs stamp set, "Wishing You a Day Full of Sunshine and a Lake Full of Fish" above the bear in Soft Suede. However, it didn't stand out well enough so I re-stamped it on a 3" x 1" piece of Crumb Cake card stock, cut it out with the pointed single banner from the Bunch of Banners Framelit set and mounted it with Dimmensionals. Better.

12.  To finish the inside of the card I stamped the "Happy Birthday " sentiment from Stylized Birthday in Early Espresso Ink in the center of the Very Vanilla panel.  I randomly stamped four fish across the bottom and coloured them with an aqua painter.
Well that's it for today's card.  I hope you like it as much as I do.  I'd love to hear from you, whether you think a guy would like this card.  I think they would get a chuckle out of it, especially if they love to fish.

If you've come directly to my blog I hope you'll go back to the Wacky Watercooler site and check out the rest of the design team's creations for the WWC91 Masculine Challenge.  You won't want to miss them!   

Happy Stamping!
Penny Token's Stampin' Spot

2 comments:

Sharon B-B said...

Penny, I love this card. This is very original.I really like cards that tell a story, and there are so many stories that could go with this bear and his (her?) fish. :-) It's now on my list as a starting point for a card of my own. The minute I saw it, the creative juices started flowing.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks so much Sharon for your wonderful comment on this card. This card was very special and was the first of many Bear cards I made with that set. I could never part with the stamp set as I had so much fun with it. Appreciate your taking time to look back in time on my blog!

Zany Birthday FMS#628

Well another week has flown by and there's a promise of Spring between the rain drops.  I'm thrilled to see all the cherry trees sta...