Monday, September 21, 2015

Jean's Ombre Effect Technique Challenge WWC34

I love how the Watercooler Wednesday challenges have changed their schedule to a weekly format and that each week is a different theme or format.  This week Jean from the design team has chosen a wonderful  colour format called "Ombre".  Here's her WWC34 Ombre Effect Technique Challenge :

After I was rocked by the sudden loss of my dear friend Gwen earlier this week, I've been preparing some sympathy cards to send off to the family and mutual friends affected by her passing.  But for one friend who lives very far away and is not in touch with everyone, I felt I needed more than a sympathy card.  I decided to make her a friendship card, to let her know I was really thinking of her as she deals with Gwen's passing. This card is dedicated to Gwen and my Aussie friend, Cher.  My thoughts are with you!

Here's My Card: 
Before I began I looked up the definition for "ombre" to make sure I was on the right track and here's what it said:  Ombre: n. A French term meaning "shaded". Usually a multi colored stripe, with colors graduating from light to dark.  

To achieve this graduated tone effect for my card I used a new toy in my tool arsenal called Happy Patterns Decorative Masks.  What fun to use and the visual effect is sheer delight.  From start to finish this is a ten minute card.  The hardest part was choosing the colours. 



Supplies:
Stamp Sets:  Perfect Pennants and Loving Thoughts (R)
Ink: Soft Sky, Pool Party, Mint Macaroon, Lost Lagoon
Card Stock:  Lost Lagoon, Mint Macaroon, Whisper White
Accessories:  Butterflies Thinlet Dies, Happy Patterns Decorative Masks (138313), Sponge Daubers, Basic Rhinestones, Detail Scissors, Trimmer, Big Shot, Elegant Dots Embossing Folder

If you enjoyed this card I hope you'll leave me a comment.  
 Happy Stamping!
Penny Tokens Stampin Spot

14 comments:

Heidi Weaver said...

Hi Penny, you've made good use of that new tool. I love the wonderful ombre background you've created using that mask. The blues which you've used together blend remarkably well, something you don't notice when they're separated into their own colour groups. I love the hand of friendship you're extending with this beautiful card as well. I hope your friend realizes it has come from your heart. Thanks so much for joining our Watercooler Wednesday challenge, Penny, and for all your support.

Bev said...

What a wonderful use of the mask for the ombre effect. I'm sure your Aussie friend will love it. So sorry for your loss, Penny. Take care.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Bev. My friend Gwen was a most elegant and wonderful woman. She is going to really be missed in our group.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Heidi for your comments on my card. I haven't used those masks often, but I love how they separated the colours into lines. They will be a tool I draw on more often when I'm stuck for a background effect. I know my Aussie friend Cher will understand this card. Gwen was all about subtle soft things, and loved butterflies so my card should convey some of that. I thought of blinds when I used the mask and it's like the butterfly for me is on the other side of the window.

Vicki Hodgman said...

What a clever idea for your mask Penny. So sorry for the loss of your friend. It sounds like you drew on your knowledge of her likes to make this card extra special. Beautifully done.

Jackie said...

Penny, what a wonderful take on the Ombre technique. That background is so incredibly cool. Thank you for playing with our challenge and sharing your talent!

Nancy's Space said...

Very nice :) I really like the effect and the colors.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Nancy for dropping by and checking out my card. Appreciate it!

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Jackie for your comment. I'm glad you liked the background. I found it really cool too!

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Vicki for your comment and taking the time to read my post. Yes Gwen was a very beautiful, wonderful strong independent woman, and I did draw from my experience with her to do this card. I know she would have liked it.

Created by Kath said...

Penny, lovely use of Ombre, the colors together are beautiful.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Kath. Much appreciated!

paper bag create said...

Gorgeous card and loved drooling over it in person. Loved the colour combo and the stencilled background. :)

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Sheri. Glad you were droolin'. I felt the same way looking at your creations. What fun! Thanks for dropping by.

Zany Birthday FMS#628

Well another week has flown by and there's a promise of Spring between the rain drops.  I'm thrilled to see all the cherry trees sta...