Saturday, October 5, 2013

World Card Making Day - Wahoo

For me this is the best day of the year!  I get to make cards today, be creative and have fun.  

There's going to be none of the usual interruptions like vacuuming, ironing, cooking........... you know, the daily grind!  So, I can honestly shout out Wahoo!  

With that inspiration in mind I went to my card room and grabbed this month's Paper Pumpkin which is appropriately named "Wahoo", and began the first of what I hope will be many creations today.  

The Wahoo set comes with two stamps, four card bases and envelopes, two buttons and twine, some chevron tags, and a Midnight Muse Stampin' Spot.  My card is all about "congratulations" and excitement for a great accomplishment.  I hope it conveys that feeling.  

Supplies Used:

  • September Paper Pumpkin Kit
  • Gorgeous Grunge Stamp Set #130517 pg 109 IB&C
  • Yippee Skippy #131341 pg 37 IB&C
  • Tag a Bag Gift Bags #131370 pg 158 IB&C*
  • Tag a Bag Accessory Kit #130153 pg 158 IB&C* 
  • Season of Style Washi Tape #132155 Holiday Catalogue pg 25
  • Inks:  Crumb Cake, Soft Suede, Gumball Green, Calypso Coral and Versa Mark and a Midnight Muse Marker
  • Heat and Stick Powder #100625 pg 166 IB&C and Heat Tool
  • Dazzling Diamonds Stampin' Glitter #102023 IB&C 
  • Silver Glimmer Paper for Stars #124005 pg 156
  • Small Star Punch (retired)
  • Dimensionals and Sticky Strip Adhesives
 * These items can be purchased as a bundle see information on pg 159.
I made a card and instead of adding an envelope I made a matching bag so I can tuck in some extra treats like lotto tickets, a gift card or even photos of the event.
  • I wanted to jazz up the card face and what better stamp set to accomplish this than Gorgeous Grunge.  I can't get enough of those splatters and the tire skid marks.  Such fun!  
  • I also jazzed up the Wahoo sentiment by first stamping it on the card face in Midnight Muse ink.  
  • I re-stamped the image with Versa Mark ink on a scrap piece of Crumb Cake card stock and heat embossed this image with Heat and Stick Powder.  While the Heat and Stick powder was still warm I sprinkled  Dazzling Diamonds Stampin' Glitter over it and re-heated with the heat gun tool.  TIP: Take it from me, don't forget to use your Embossing Buddy on the card stock before you begin embossing so you don't get small flecks of glitter sticking all over the surface like I did.  Just saying! 
  • I fussy cut around the letters and then glued them with snail directly over top of the stamped image on the card front.  You could just see a bit of the Midnight Muse ink peeking out around the edges.  Because it wasn't quite the bold comic book look I was trying to achieve, I used a Midnight Muse marker and swiped the large end all around the lettering, and Voila, the Wahoo jumps off the page!
  • I sponged the edges of the index card with Crumb Cake ink because it was just too stark for me.  I stamped the "You Did It" sentiment in Midnight Muse and added a couple of the Chevron elements with dimensionals.  The index card was also popped up with dimensionals.
For the inside of the card I carried on the grunge theme with the Gorgeous Grunge stamp set.  I told you I love those splatters!  I added a strip of the Season of Style Washi Tape down the right hand side and stamped a lively saying from the Yippee Skippee Stamp set in Midnight Muse.

These Tag a Bag Gift Bags are so cool to work with.  You can't go wrong ordering them as a bundle with the Tag a Bag Accessory Kit (see page 159 in the IB&C).  I've gone all out using the splatter stamps from Gorgeous Grunge, the Wahoo stamp and two tags from the Accessory Kit.  I also added three small glimmer stars and a strip of Washi tape.  For the "You Did It Tag" I used my Stamp-a- ma-jig to reposition the stamp.  I think this turned out pretty cool. 

And there you have it, my Wahoo card and matching bag.  Hope you enjoyed this and are enjoying World Card Making Day. 

No comments:

Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge #572:

April has sure been living up to its reputation for rain showers but it's been really on the cold side which isn't normal for this t...