Monday, June 17, 2013

Michelle Zindorf CASE - Happy Birthday

My sister celebrated a milestone birthday at the end of May and because she is such a wonderful sister and inspiration I wanted to make a card that would show her my love and how very special she is to me.  

Some time ago I ran across a card tutorial by Michelle Zindorf that featured the stamp set "Elements of Style" which includes a hummingbird and floral image that I love.  Since hummingbirds are very special to me and my family , and this ethereal image was so awe inspiring, I knew I wanted to try my hand at a similar card for my sister's birthday. 

Here is Michelle's card and if you click on her name you can visit the tutorial on her blog site.



I think you can see why I fell in love with this picture. Isn't it just magical?

My Rendition:

For my card I decided to do a double card that included a full back card and a gate fold front with a holder for a gift card.    I followed Michelle's excellent tutorial to create the 3" circle with the stamped images.  This was mounted on a piece of Night of Navy card stock cut out with the Scallop Circle die.
 
This is a closeup of the detail on the flowers.  I added small basic pearls to the centers of some of the flowers and a piece of 1/8" satin ribbon which matched the blush blossom marker used to colour the darker parts of the flowers.  I also added some dazzling details to give it some dazzle and sparkle.  The sentiment "Life is a Matter of Moments" from the Elements of Style stamp set was stamped in Basic Black ink.  It seemed to be a really appropriate sentiment for a milestone birthday.
 
I cut a 5 1/2" by 11 piece of Night of Navy card stock for the card base and scored it at the center.  I stamped the Elements of Style flourish image in Night of Navy ink across the front of the card and on the inside right panel.  I cut a piece of Whisper White card stock using the Top Note die and stamped the sentiment "Not just a year older but a year better" from the Bring on the Cake stamp set. 


Inside view of the full card.

For the gate fold card I started with a piece of Bashful Blue cardstock that measured 4 1/4" x 8 1/2" scored at 2 1/8" and 6 3/8".  Two pieces of Old Olive card stock measuring 1 7/8" x 4" were cut and embossed with the Fancy Fold Embossing Folder before adhering them to the front panels of the Gate Fold.

This view shows the layers of the Gate Fold and the card front. The ribbon ties you can see at the side hold the card front closed so the gift card can't slip out. 


Here's a view of the Gatefold card when it's opened.
Two scalloped circles were cut from Blush Blossom card stock. A 3" circle from Whisper White was adhered to the bottom scallop circle.   The front scallop circle was scored and folded in half.

I stamped the hummingbird in basic black ink and then mounted this piece to the base with dimensionals. I used the paper piecing tool and the Festive Pack to add a design to the front of the scallop to simulate flight.  The small sentiment "for you" from Elements of Style was stamped in Basic Black ink on Blush Blossom and then punched out with the 1" circle punch and adhered with dimensionals.  Three small basic pearls were spaced out across the center.
This view shows the gift card inserted in the holder. 
Hope you enjoyed this post.  My sister loved her card, and I hear they just recently used the gift card for dinner at Earl's.

2 comments:

Deborah Smart said...

Wow! Penny, your card is fabulous - you did a terrific job! I just love your colouring; I can just imagine your sister being thrilled. Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

Just stunning Penny !! I love it. I need to try colouring like this ! So impressive. Cheers to you my friend !

Zany Birthday FMS#628

Well another week has flown by and there's a promise of Spring between the rain drops.  I'm thrilled to see all the cherry trees sta...